
Elder Perry's call to share our beliefs was awesome! I have never been one to hide my thoughts or feelings about the gospel. I mention the gospel, my testimony, our lifestyle as members of the LDS church often and have never been ashamed of it. I've had many opportunities in the past several years of blogging to answer questions about the gospel and our faith. Most of my blogging friends know that I'm open book and as a result, I do get asked a lot of questions. Elder Perry's reminder was just what I needed!
I imagine a lot of us will be spending a little less time playing Angry Birds after conference. For me, it's Words with Friends. I'm certain that the quote from Elder Aidern touched many of our hearts... Be as quick to kneel as we are to text. I've often caught myself dialing a friend when I realized I should be on my knees. Beautiful.
Elder Packer's words were powerful and strong. Elder Packer reminds me of Samuel the Lamanite, standing on the wall, preaching and teaching truth, without fear of the arrows and stones being aimed in his direction. He reminds me of the verse in Alma, "Never have I seen so much courage." Elder Packer is fearless.
I was touched by Elder Anderson's comments about raising a family. Again, this was one of those "fearless" talks because it is indeed such a personal decision. His thoughts on it being okay to scrimp and save for the sake of having a family hit home. I often think about going to work to lighten our load. It would simplify things, financially, immensely. But, it wouldn't simplify the fact my life at all. Or my children's. They need me so many times during the day, even now that they are in school. I'll find other ways to cut back. Even if it means not going out to lunch.;) But, the comment made that struck me the most was at the end of his talk when Elder Anderson stated, "We should not be judgmental in the sacred and private responsibility." I hope that those who were listening to this talk, and thinking of people who they feel should be beginning their families sooner, heard this part of the talk, as well.
President Eyring's tenderness during his talk touched my heart. Again, another reminder to read the Book of Mormon. There were so many. I'd say that reading and studying the Book of Mormon was the theme of this conference. It was mentioned so many times. I was grateful to have just completed a long study, not just a reading, of the Book of Mormon weeks ago. As a matter of fact, I finished reading the Doctrine and Covenants between sessions of conference on Sunday and have begun a Relief Society challenge to read the Book of Mormon again before the end of the year. Loving it!
On Sunday, each and every talk touched my heart. I loved being with my family in our cozy little family room enjoying it together. The babes captured so many things. Quayd, particularly. A few thoughts that come to my mind :
The most surprising talk was Sister Dalton's. Expecting her comments to be more directed to the youth, hearing her address the fathers caught everyone's attention. She was so direct and yet, so tender. The best way a father can teach his daughters is to love their mother. It doesn't get any clearer than that. I've told my girls all their lives to look for a man half as wonderful as their dad and they'll do well. I immediately thought of Doug dancing with Gracie on the temple grounds on the day of our niece Becky's wedding and put one of my favorite conference quotes on the picture. Beautiful!
As I listen to the talks of General Conference, because of my calling as the Teaching for our Times teacher in Relief Society, I listen to every talk with "teaching ears"... will I teach this one, Oh this one would be fun to teach, oh this one would be hard to teach..."
President Eyring's talk would be a fun lesson to prepare! We promise to: 1 ~ be charitable… Service 2 ~ witnesses of God… 3 ~ endure
Elder Hales talk would be a sacred and growing experience to teach, no doubt. It was beautiful ~ the purpose of our life is to grow, develop and be strengthened through our own experiences. “We wait upon the Lord.” Mortal challenges allow us to see whether we will exercise our agency to follow His son. All these things shall be for our experience and our good. Joy cometh in the morning. Let us be kinder to one another and even kinder to ourselves. How could we all not benefit to study that talk in depth.
With the elections around the corner and all of the negative talk about the church, I get so frustrated when I hear criticisms of the LDS candidates, simply "because their Mormons". It makes no sense to me. We are Christians. I loved Elder Ballard's explanations of the title of our church ~ the Saviors name is the only name by which we can be saved.
THE ~ specifies and sets apart
CHURCH of JESUS CHRIST ~ HIS church of Latter-day ~ the same church that was in Christ’s ministry
SAINTS ~ as members, we follow him and strive to keep his commandments, those who seek to make their lives holy by covenanting to follow Christ.
This tells us exactly who we are and what we believe! I want to stand up and shout from the rooftops, "We are CHRISTIANS!"
Elder Yamishita's 3 things to bring on your mission ~ a desire to serve the Lord , developed testimony , love others were great advise for three attitudes to wake up with every day. A goal for me to work on!
The kids loved Elder Randall K. Bennett's story of his poor choice, swimming against the current. We're always quoting, "The choices we make today determine our happiness tomorrow." President Monson was quoted: “Decisions determine destiny. You can’t make eternal decisions without eternal consequences.” The kids captured that immediately!
A favorite quote from Elder Cornish ~ Much like medicine, prayer only works when used as directed.
There were so many great quotes and encouraging thoughts, but I'll leave the Ensign and Church Website to print those. These were some that really made strong impressions for me.
And last but not least, President Monson is always just delightful. His description of today's attitude~ "Buy it, wear it, spend it, flaunt it because you’re worth it." So true! I remember when we were first married learning the opposite, "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or Do without." It's amazing how that attitude has been forgotten. President Monson's comment that morality is not passe ran deep. This is the prophet speaking. I thought of Noah standing on the ark as he spoke these words, "We are responsible for our actions. Although the world has changed, the gospel has not. The commandments are COMMANDMENTS...they are not negotiable." You can't turn the tv on and find that opinion anywhere today. But, as always, comes a promise that Heavenly Father's is constancy is something on which we can rely. Stand strong and firm in righteousness.
My birthday and the fall General Conference usually fall at the same time. Our anniversary and Spring Conference are usually together, as well. In my younger days, it was sometimes frustrating because there's not a room to be had if I wanted to spend either weekend celebrating in the big city of Salt Lake. In the wisdom of my fifty-three years, I find myself looking at the calendar before scheduling anything during Conference. I live for it! I love it! I download it onto my iPod and listen to Conference daily, usually at least one talk before bedtime each night, often when I walk, and daily, I listen to the talk that I'm preparing to teach in Relief Society. What a gift, to have modern prophets and apostles teaching us the Word of God today, in our world of modern conveniences and modern challenges. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love my Savior and elder brother, Jesus Christ. I love the scriptures, both old and new. I bear this witness that they are true. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
sophia, thanks for sharing your feelings. you are an incredible woman and mother. your sincere desire to live the gospel is inspiring.
ReplyDelete