Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A different approach to your New Years Resolutions


This past Sunday, Sister Marilyn Lindley taught us from the Conference talk, Finding Joy in the Journey, given by President Monson. Her personal touch to the lesson was greatly beneficial in understanding the meaning behind his words. I was also impressed by President Monson's words in thinking about the goals that I want to set for the next year.


"This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and non-existent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now."


Sister Lindley made us all laugh when she said, "I know how old I am, but it just sounds so strange when I say the words!" She encouraged us each to take a look at our own lives, to find gratitude for the little things in our life and "Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future."


"We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with those who mean the most to us.
Send that note to the friend you’ve been neglecting; give your child a hug; give your parents a hug; say “I love you” more; always express your thanks. Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved. Friends move away, children grow up, loved ones pass on. It’s so easy to take others for granted, until that day when they’re gone from our lives and we are left with feelings of “what if” and “if only.”


President Monson closed his address with, "Brothers and sisters, my sincere prayer is that we may adapt to the changes in our lives, that we may realize what is most important, that we may express our gratitude always and thus find joy in the journey."


As the New Year arrives, we all tend to be a bit more mindful of our goals, accomplishments, successes and failures of the past and thinking of the future. If you've not taken the time to set some goals for the new year, review President Monson's words first. His wise counsel is perfect guidance in thinking about the things that we want to accomplish this upcoming year, personally and as families. What better way to follow the prophet than by including his wisdom in our own planning and goal setting for the new year! Enough said!

1 comment:

  1. I loved that lesson. I have been thinking about that too. As I look at my little ones I notice how fast it goes. I wish I could freeze every moment. I am working on embracing every moment and enjoying every minute I have with my family.

    ReplyDelete