Saturday, September 4, 2010

viewing pleasure or the real treasure

This past few weeks, obviously, I've really been focusing on the Proclamation of the Family. I've read it, reread it, prayed about it, studied it, written about it, pondered it and am working on memorizing it. I've honestly felt the Spirit guiding me in all things, family, during this time. It's been a blessing.

And then I saw that dang movie. Over the weekend, I had a fun girls' date with my daughter and a best friend and her daughter. (all adults) We had a lovely breakfast, did some fall shopping and then went to a movie. Often, I don't even know who's in a movie because I do not watch previews. We went into this movie, that I'd never even heard, just because it was non-R and it fit into our time frame. BIG mistake. There's no doubt, we are raising our families in an R-rated world.

That was Saturday. It's Wednesday. I'm still disturbed. The premise of the movie was that a woman wants to have a baby without marriage and all the "strings" that go along with it. It was offensive, to say the least. Of course, in the end, it all works out and they live happily ever after.

Whenever we watch a movie like this, my husband always says out loud, "You know that the missionaries knocked on their door, baptized them and they went to the temple a year later. Today, they are one big happy eternal family." That always gets a laugh and I appreciate his gentle reminder of what life is really about. He never says "television", only "teleSatan".

I'm SO frustrated! I love movies. For years, I've been a secret movie shopper, so I get into the shows for free. We've always had a large and current movie library in our home. However, this past year, we've added only one movie, a childrens' movie, and even it was disturbing enough to question. I honestly can't think of the last movie that portrayed the tradition family in a good light. Why, Hollywood, why?

Our Saturday movie was not acceptable. Two weeks ago, I left my friends in the theater and walked out of another show. I wish I'd done that Saturday, as well. Sadly, I admit, that after that first fifteen minutes, the movie turned into a sweet and tender story between the father and son. However, regardless of the cute little boy and the fact that there was no skin or language or or or... the entire premise of the show was contrary to every single thing that I've been focusing on for days and weeks now. Entirely.

The saddest thing is that we find ourselves excusing that the language was pretty decent, there was no skin, there was no violence, that "Except for that one scene, it was really a good movie" even though it is totally totally opposite of everything we stand for and profess to believe.

We teach our children to prepare for opposition by knowing what they will do in a situation. We tell them to "stand for something". We encourage them to avoid temptations and the appearance of evil. In our family, having memorized the Articles of Faith, we ask often, "Is it virtuous, lovely, praiseworthy or good report?" In choosing entertainment, a new consideration, directly from the Family Proclamation, "Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities."

Was this movie a wholesome recreational activity? I think not. Did I let myself down. Most definitely. I've sent myself to the "repent corner" for the past few days. In my own self-appointed time out, I've considered that entertainment pleasures matter very little compared to what really matters. Our DVD library may not grow much more. Our television viewing time is becoming less and less. But, the good feelings in our home will increase. The Spirit in our home will be stronger. We will benefit from more wholesome choices. Of this, I am certain. Enough said.

5 comments:

  1. You have written wonderful truths! Satan is such a sneak, isn't he? Disguising the evil amongst the good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your posts here... And I have to agree with you, I don't understand how Hollywood is putting the traditional family down, just look at the previews of the new shows coming this season, we are going from bad to worse....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also find that the more I study and internalize the Family proclamation...the less I can tolerate the world's contrary messages...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The saddest thing is that we find ourselves excusing that the language was pretty decent, there was no skin, there was no violence, that "Except for that one scene, it was really a good movie" even though it is totally totally opposite of everything we stand for and profess to believe."

    I'm completely with you on this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you so I can do this, but I'm going to play devil's advocate a little bit. What if you look at is as a way of considering your testimony and beliefs? You have an image of what the world thinks. How does it challenge you? How does it reinforce your beliefs? If the producer/director/writer were to stand before you, what might you say to him/her?

    I'm not saying that to discount what you are feeling, but as an option to consider for understanding/dealing with it, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete