Friday, September 3, 2010

Rock or Sand

So, as we do scripture study each morning, I'm always fascinated by the kids interpretation of the scriptures. This morning, we were reading in the New Testament, where Christ shares the analogy of the Wise Man building his house upon the rock.

As we discussed it, I asked the kiddos to tell me about rocks... they are hard. They are strong. You can't move them if they are really big. They don't bend or break easily. And tell me about sand...It's squishy. It is wet and soggy at the beach. It moves and disappears when waves come up on it. It can be shaped into whatever you want it to.

Then, I shared that Jesus Christ is our Rock. He's our example, our strength. We can be like the rocks or the sand ourselves. If we are like rocks, we are strong and immovable and will not bend. Nothing can move us or change us. We can determine to keep the commandments, then be rocks and never change! If we are like sand, we can be easily swayed and changed by the choices we make. We can be squishy and not strong in our decisions and we can disappear when the water comes rushing over us. We need to be like Jesus Christ and be like rocks in our lives everyday!

The whole lesson went over very well. They captured it. I knew this, for certain, today. Each time our children leave, we always say, "Make good choices! Love you, bye!" This morning, I called this out to Quayd and Gracie as they were heading out the door to the bus stop. He turned around, grinned his big grin and said, "And be ROCKS!!" Maybe we have a new catchphrase! Love those mommy moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment